Anno accademico: 2021–2022
Corso: Lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Mediazione scritta in inglese 3.2 (MSiI3.2) – Traduzione audiovisiva: traduzione per il voice-over L
Docente: Salvatore Mele (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The course will analyse the different aspects involved in providing translation for voice-over purposes, including the phases of transcription, timing and cueing (“spotting”), translation, adaptation, and final revision or proof-reading. A variety of textual/media types will be dealt with, including interviews and news/current affairs.
The course aims to familiarise students with the basic tenets underlying translation for the purposes of voice-over. By the end of the module, students will be able to:
- “spot” a visual media sequence, thus providing the temporal constraints within which the voice-over text must be provided;
- transcribe, or at least be able to check the transcription of, the audio media sequence for subtitling:
- provide a basic translation of the sequence;
- analyse and define the types of modifications or adaptations necessary for the final voiced sequence (including textual condensation, omission, ellipsis, paraphrasing and lexical and syntactical simplification);
- how to deal with overly complex and/or confused source text
- undertake adequate posttranslation revision and final editing of voice-over text.
Although the course is language- and direction-specific, the basic underlying features of the translation process for voice-over purposes can also be applied to other languages and directions.
Voice-over project – students are required to submit a voice-over project, based on audiovisual material to be chosen by the course teacher. For the 4- to 6-minute sequence of audiovisual material, students must provide the following:
- a transcription of the original;
- a “bridging” translation;
- a final version for voice-over (including spotting).
The basic bibliography for voice-over is derived from the subtitling course. Further reading will be provided as needed during the course.
de Linde, Zoé, and Neil Kay. The Semiotics of Subtitling. Manchester: St Jerome Publishing, 1999.
Ivarsson, Jan, and Mary Carroll. Subtitling. Simrishamn: TransEdit HB, 1998.
Perego, Elisa. La traduzione audiovisiva. Roma: Carocci, 2005.