Anno accademico: 2019–2020
Corso: Mediazione linguistica – lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Mediazione scritta IN inglese 3.1 (MSiI3.1) L
Docente: Geltrude Daniela Vescio (email@example.com)
The course will equip students with the practical skills, strategies, and tips for translating into English. It will enhance awareness of language choices, structures and registers. Students will analyse a variety of texts and genres including literary, journalistic, scientific texts, lyrics and advertisments.
Class activities will highlight:
- Differences in the relevant norms of the source and target language;
- Features of grammar (morphology and syntax), tense, lexis, punctuation
- Literal and connotative meaning;
- Relevant aspects of cultural expression (e.g. local customs, names, places, idioms, cultural references).
In translating texts, the following key aspects of translation practice will be considered:
- Accuracy, syntax, style and register;
- Cohesion, coherence and organisation of work in the target language;
- Compensating translation loss in cultural transfer;
- Defining a translation strategy according to the genre of the text and the purpose of the translation.
Guided discussion on the original texts, existing translations (when relevant) and the participants’ own translations, will develop critical assessments of these works.
By the end of the course students will be expected to:
- have a better understanding of how to translate a variety of genres and text types into English;
- further developed their competence in, and knowledge of, English as a language and cultural system;
- have improved their discourse and text analysis skills.
At the end of the module students will be involved in a project:
- Select and translate a menu of your choice using the techniques explored during the course.
- Write a 150 word report considering the source text, the target text and the tools used.
Due by mid January 2020.
Promotional material, tourist guides, travel brochures, journalistic, business, and technical/scientific texts provided by the course tutor.