Anno accademico: 2019–2020
Corso: Mediazione linguistica – lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Mediazione scritta IN inglese 2.2 (MSiI2.2) S
Docente: Geltrude Daniela Vescio (email@example.com)
The course is designed to provide students with strategies for translating into English. It will focus on building more awareness of language choices, structures and registers. Students will analyse a variety of texts and genres including, journalistic, scientific, technical texts, lyrics and advertisments.
Class activities will highlight:
- Differences in the relevant norms of the source and target language;
- Features of grammar (morphology and syntax), tense, lexis, punctuation
- Literal and connotative meaning;
- Relevant aspects of cultural expression (e.g. local customs, names, places, idioms, cultural references).
In translating texts, the following key aspects of translation practice will be considered:
- Accuracy, syntax, style and register;
- Cohesion, coherence and organization of work in the target language;
- Defining a translation strategy according to the genre of the text and the purpose of translation.
Guided discussion on the original texts and the participants’ own translations, will develop critical assessments of these works.
By the end of the course students will be expected to:
- have a strong understanding of how to translate a variety of genres and text types into English
- 2. have improved their discourse and text analysis skills.
At the end of the module students will be expected to sit a 2-hour exam where they will be asked to translate a short text (approx. 200-300 words) from Italian into English. The text will be of a similar type to those dealt with during the course.
Promotional material, tourist guides, travel brochures, journalistic, business, and technical/scientific texts provided by the course tutor.