Anno accademico: 2021â€“2022
Corso: Mediazione linguistica â€“ lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Mediazione scritta IN inglese 2.2 (MSiI2.2) â€“ Materiale promozionaleÂ BL
Docente: Mafalda Rossi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The course further develops the basic concepts of contrastive analysis to identify the convergences and divergences between Italian and English. It introduces a number of key translation strategies, how to apply these methods to a range of Promotional texts, and the key features of appellative language.
The student simulates the role of task of the Translator by completing a series of Translation Briefs in which they:
– Formalise a Translation Process
– Answer the 3 key strategic decisions of the Translator
– Apply translation methods
– Identify key lexical, grammatical and syntactic issues
– Analyse pragmatic and semantic features and their impact on the translation
– Understand the importance of flexibility in producing plausible TT.
By the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Follow a Translation Process to provide a plausible TT
- Answer the 3 basic strategic decisions of the Translator
- Apply the basic concepts of contrastive analysis to Italian & English: identify convergences & divergences, provide acceptable equivalents
- Identify and apply a range of Translation Methods
- Distinguish between Register & Tone and the implications on the translation process
- Understand the impact of Semantics & Pragmatics on the translation process
- Understand the basic concepts of Appellative Language and use in Promotional Texts.
At the end of the module students will be expected to sit for a 2-hour exam where they will be asked to choose from 2 Promotional texts and translate the text from Italian into English. The texts will be of a similar type to those dealt with during the course.
Students will be expected to identify and detail:
– 3 strategic decisions of the Translator
– 5 translation strategies/methods used.
Promotional material: tourist guides, travel brochures, museum guides, product brochures, inflight magazine extracts etc., provided by the course instructor.