Anno accademico: 2019–2020
Corso: Mediazione linguistica – lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Mediazione scritta IN inglese 2.1 (MSiI2.1) L
Docente: Kathleen Marie Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The course will provide students with practice in translating a variety of text types. Texts will be sourced from a range of materials including promotional, journalistic, business, and technical texts. Through a pre-translation analysis, students will be encouraged to identify potential problem areas relating to lexicogrammatical, pragmatic, cultural and stylistic issues. Students will compare and analyse the use of language in thematically similar texts and develop strategies to produce a plausible target text in English. Particular attention will be paid to features of discourse analysis, grammatical and lexical equivalence and register. Peer-group discussion will be encouraged to justify choices and provide constructive critical analysis in the classroom. The course is language- and direction-specific, i.e. Italian – English
By the end of the module, students will be able to:
• distinguish between text types (promotional, technical, journalistic)
• recognize lexical and grammatical divergences between source and target text
• make choices regarding the semantic content of the target text
• understand pragmatic and stylistic features of the source and target texts
• make basic choices regarding the cohesion of the target text
• provide a plausible target text in English
At the end of the module students will be expected to sit for a 2-hour exam where they will be asked to translate a short text (approx. 200-300 words) from Italian into English. The text will be of a similar type to those dealt with during the course.
Promotional material, tourist guides, travel brochures, journalistic, business, and technical/scientific texts provided by the course tutor.