Anno accademico: 2020–2021
Corso: Lingua e civiltà – lingua inglese
Insegnamento: Lingua inglese livello 1 (LI1) BL
Docente: Kathleen Marie Hughes ()
The course will provide students with language training and development at B1/low-B2 level and will cover all language areas and skills. Authentic and semi-authentic reading texts, video clips, audios, and podcasts on a variety of general topics, dealing with high frequency everyday or work-related issues, will be used to present and analyse lexis, grammatical structures, register, and features of spoken and written discourse. Students will be encouraged to use new language and structures in controlled language practice sessions covering a range of interactive situations such as discussions, debates, etc., and in written assignments such as essays, reviews, reports, etc. Those aspects of pronunciation which cause major difficulties for Italian speakers will be analysed and students will learn strategies to help develop fluency.
By the end of the module students will be able to
- speak on a variety of topics using appropriate and accurate language
- express, justify and ask for opinions, ideas and information effectively and appropriately
- describe experiences and events giving a reasonable amount of detail
- interact with a native speaker on most areas of general or personal interest
- maintain a coherent flow of speech for a short period
- understand the main points of a range of spoken and written materials on a variety of topics, relating to personal experience, work, leisure, non-complex news items
- understand the detail of a range of spoken and written materials on a variety of topics, as above
- understand the attitude of the writer or speaker in a range of written and spoken materials, as above
- produce a variety of written work, such as letters, short stories, and reviews that are appropriate in • style and register to their purpose and audience (letters, reports, essays etc.) and that give reasonable detail.
Students will be assessed throughout the course on both their class work and homework. There will also be a final assessment consisting of a written exam where students will be tested on use of English, reading, writing and listening skills, and will be required to give a short oral presentation on a topic of their choice followed by questions. The final mark will be weighted 25% continuous assessment and 75% final exam (2 hours).
Libri di testo obbligatori:
Oxenden, Clive, Christina Latham–Koenig. New English File Intermediate, Digital Gold, Third Edition – Student’s Book. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
Libri di testo facoltativi:
Murphy, Raymond. English Grammar in Use, Fourth Edition. Cambridge:CUP, 2012.